What is the Alliance?
The Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance brings together like-minded organisations committed to working with businesses to create mentally health workplaces. Founding membership of the Alliance reflects the fact that business is its primary audience.
Our vision is that all Australian workplaces take active steps to create mentally healthy workplaces and fully realise the benefits to their people, their business and the community.
Our approach builds on the great work of many who have gone before us, and gives businesses and those who have been working with employers the chance to showcase what they’ve been doing, what works and what does not.
The Alliance has launched a call for good practice and we will use the information we get through this and other work to develop practical, national resources for businesses for release later in the year. Find out how to get involved.
Founding Alliance members
- National Mental Health Commission
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Australian Psychological Society Ltd
- Black Dog Institute
- Business Council of Australia
- Council of Small Business Organisations of Australia
- Mental Health Council of Australia
- Safe Work Australia
- SANE Australia
- University of New South Wales
Our guiding principles
- working collaboratively to benefit from the shared expertise, resources and networks of Alliance members
- drawing on the experience of individuals in the workplace who have experienced a mental health difficulty or who provide support for an individual with a mental illness
- promoting the best available research evidence and good practice approaches to create mentally healthy workplaces
- recognising that the wide variation in business size and culture will require a flexible and scalable approach.
Our priority action areas
- establishing the evidence base for effective actions that contribute to mentally healthy workplaces and the return on investment for their implementation
- promoting the benefits of creating mentally healthy workplaces and good practice approaches being implemented by businesses
- developing resources that provide practical guidance to business to create mentally healthy workplaces
- demonstrating a measurable change in business practices relating to creating mentally health workplaces.
What else is the Alliance doing?
The Alliance is funding the following work program:
- the Call for Good Practice: invitingall businesses to share their experiences in promoting mental wellbeing at work
- a literature review into evidence-based actions which contribute to creating mentally healthy workplaces
- a study on the return on investment for creating mentally healthy workplaces
- the development of practical resources for businesses – such as videos and case studies – to be released later in the year